Thursday, October 31, 2013

Lordy Lordy there's a "Higher Up" in my workshop!

I spent the day yesterday teaching a team building workshop with a new client (large, international firm). Much to my surprise two "higher ups" were in the room and stayed the whole day. That night, the highest of the higher ups sent me a linked in request. Here is the message I sent him this morning (I took the time to do this because it is SOOOOOOO rare):

Hi ______,

Glad you connected. 

I just want to compliment you and the rest of the group. I have been consulting and training for about ten years now and can I tell you that one of the most frustrating parts of my job is seeing the lack of leadership presence at the top when it comes to training and professional development. The typical scenario with leaders looks like this-- 1. I don't need to be fixed, they do. 2. I will sign the check but don't expect me to participate.

Not only did you and ________ show up, you were engaged the entire day and your thoughtful feedback to each person at the end of the day as we played "why do I want you on my team?" was inspiring. I wish I would have video taped the day to show my other leaders as an example of what it means to lead. I could tell that you were genuinely interested in each person there and it made an impact on me.

Thank you! It was a very satisfying day of work for me.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the take away.  
1. Leadership is more about your actions than it is your words.

2. GREAT leaders know and understand that they need professional development too.

3. Team Building is pointless if the leader is not there and invested in the process.

4. TRUE leaders are engaged!

5. GREAT leaders SHOW UP.

No comments: